Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Resolution

     The year of 2014 is now in the past as we all ring in the start of 2015. This is the time that everyone is either drunk or attempting to sleep through the plethora of random fireworks noises that are going off all over the place. I happen to be neither since my lack of sleep keeps me going late into the night. This issue of The Arena promises to be one of the longest since this will also include my list of things that I am going to change about myself in the coming year. I know that there is a whole world of people that are making the same lists that I am. Everyone makes a list and for most of the first couple months they tend to keep to it and are diligent about what they are doing. After about mid-March or so, they decline and everything goes back to the way it was and then about June or July, they realize that everything has gone wrong and start blaming everything but themselves. I actually happen to have what I believe is a fool proof plan for keeping on top of the resolutions that will be following this happy narrative. As I sit here doing my normal dad thing of watching TV and keeping my hellions in line, I think back about all of the things that have happened in the last year. Some of these things that I will talk about will be a little private, but I will try to preserve some of the privacy that I am entitled to. 
     The following list of resolutions that will be coming to you also have consequences for slipping up or completely missing something all together. I had this thought as I was sitting around thinking one day at work before going on leave. Many believe that people don't change. Some really don't, but there are the others that put in the hard work to make the changes that they want to see in their life. I am one of the people that wants things to be different because I feel that there is a need for the change. I have a lot of things that I want to change. For example, I don't want to be that dad that yells at my kids all of the time. I know there will be times that I need to yell at them however, I tend to go a little overboard with it. It has been brought to my attention by pretty much everyone that I know. It is sometimes an unconscious thing that happens. Other times, I know that I am being a little unreasonable, but it is so hard to stop. The red flashes in and I sometimes lose sight of what really needs to be addressed so I know that I need to change it. 
     Now without further ado, I bring you the resolutions for the Wickid one.

Resolution 1: As I stated before, I have issues with going overboard on the yelling so it is only natural that the first and foremost thing that needs to be changed is that. Less yelling, more talking and smiling. I don't really need to elaborate more since I kind of already dove into this once above. The only thing that needs to be done is work on it.
Consequence to breaking Resolution 1: I said I was going to have consequences and I wasn't kidding. I plan on holding on strong to the resolutions so that what needs to happen, happens. For every major outburst that is overbearing or unreasonable, I will proceed to do as many push-ups as I can in 30 seconds. This serves two separate purposes. First, it will definitely help me on my next PRT for work that is coming up in March or April. Secondly, physical punishment is, I believe, the best teacher. I don't like doing push-ups so the more I do the more it will teach me and remind me to stop being so overbearing. 

Resolution 2: I hope that you guys have enjoyed every issue that has come your way. I enjoy writing these as I hope you enjoy reading them. So it is my hopeful promise to you that I can make your day just that much more enjoyable by popping out these issues at least once a day. There will be days where I will unplug or that I don't do them because of other, slightly higher priority items that need to be done. 
Action Item for Resolution 2: If I unplug for the day or miss a day due to other higher priority items, the following day will be done with two issues. Obvious order should be applied. I will try to make sure that I at least give you guys the heads up for when I plan on unplugging for the day. Be mindful that I will try to unplug at least once a week. I have to special needs children and they do demand my attention. I plan on taking the time I have away from a submarine to give it to them.

Resolution 3: Less being defensive, more listening. I have a nasty habit of being very defensive when someone is trying to prove a point to me or give me some criticism. I tend to yell and try to prove my point, even if I'm wrong. It upsets my wife and makes her look at me like I'm an ass. I don't like it when she feels that way about me and after the last year with us on the verge of divorce and having split custody of my children. We have fought long and hard for the last year to get back on the same page and for her to start trusting me again. I was an idiot and I still have flashes of my idiocy.
Consequence for Resolution 3: When approached with an argument or any disagreement, I will have to bite my tongue and keep my big trap shut. If I feel that it deserves to be talked about, I will have to use texting or waiting until we are alone to discuss something in a more adult like manner. I do tend to be childish when it comes to arguments because I do like to be right instead of wrong. 

Resolution 4: The nail biting has got to go. The few weeks before the end of the year where I actually stopped was really nice because I could actually pick things up when I needed to. Plus, biting nails is a particularly disgusting habit as well. Your hands are in your mouth and they get all slobbery and stuff. I gotta quit it. It's a hard one to do, but I have done it before.
Action Item for Resolution 4: I don't know what I can really do for this if I actually bite my nails, so I will just make the thing I do a physical one. We will have to go with as many sit-ups as I can do in 30 seconds. Again, this will help with the learning of not doing and help with the PRT coming up later in the spring. 

     For now, this is what I have decided will help me to be a better person. I do think that change is for the better and I do believe that with the fact that this is public and I can view it anytime I want, I shouldn't have any issues when it comes to doing these resolutions. So, Happy New Year everyone. Enjoy the issue and be safe. Don't drink and drive. Get a ride!! 

This is SPARTA!!

Wickid

No comments:

Post a Comment