Sunday, January 18, 2015

Why So Serious?

     Sunday is here and we are on the couch this time enjoying some pregame analysis and waiting for the football game to start. A friend of mine is actually at the game and going to be enjoying the crazy weather and the roar of the 12th man. I hope that he has fun. I kind of wish that I was there instead of at home with the boys, but someone has to do it right? Besides, I sometimes like being in the warm comfort of my own home on my comfy couch with screaming boys running around. I do enjoy having them around. They make my days brighter. Things are about to get serious up in here though because of the teams that are playing today. You have Green Bay taking on Seattle in roughly five minutes. Indianapolis is taking on New England this afternoon. Out of the four possible outcomes, I really hope that it is New England and Seattle heading to Glendale in two weeks. The predicted score of the early game is 20-17 with Seattle being victorious. In roughly three hours, we will see. 

     Last night, the wife made a new recipe that she found on the interwebs. Its a three cook time crock pot recipe that involves a little rice and tons of flavor. Honey Sriracha Chicken is very delicious. It takes roughly 15 minutes to prepare and it takes 3 hours to cook.
Here is your recipe so that you can try it:

Ingredients:
     1) Six (6) Chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite size pieces

For the Sauce:
     1) 1/2 cup water
     2) 2-3 Tbsp Sriracha (adjust to taste)
     3) 5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
     4) 1 Tbsp minced garlic
     5) 1/4 cup brown sugar
     6) 1 tsp salt
     7) 2-3 Tbsp honey (adjust to taste)
     8) 2 Tbsp corn starch
     9) 2-3 Tbsp water
   10) Rice, cooked

For the Garnish:
     1) Lime wedges
     2) Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
     3) Toasted Sesame Seeds (optional)

Instructions

For the Sauce:
     1. Combine the water, sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, salt, and honey and stir. Mix cornstarch and water to make a slurry and add it to the other ingredients; whisking whisking until the sauce is well blended.
     2. Add chicken pieces to a slow cooker. Cover with the sauce and stir to coat. Cook on low for approximately 3 hours.
     3. Serve over warm rice.
     4. Garnish with lime wedges, crushed red pepper flakes and toasted sesame seeds. 

And that is it! Just a semi-quick and simple dish that tastes so delicious that I ended up having two bowls of it last night. I recommend that if you like it spicy, add some more sriracha to the mix and enjoy the kick of flavor. We would have had fresh greens beans to go with it last night, but I messed up and I out the fresh green beans the wife bought into a cabinet instead of the refrigerator. She wasn't too happy about that. It really didn't matter because the entree was so delicious. 

     It really is hard to focus while trying to watch this football game. Lucky for me, there are commercials in which I can look down and type out a bunch of stuff before the game comes back on. I don't know what I am going to do on Sundays when there is no more football. I don't watch the NASCAR races anymore because they tend to get boring rather quickly. Unless it is at Talledega. I can watch that race. There is always a HUGE crash during that race. I like watching those. I don't know why though. I don't like seeing people crash because I worry about the safety of the people, but the crashes and the carnage makes me giddy. I'm weird I guess. 
     I am so ready for the day to be over though. I have had two cups of coffee and I am still feeling sluggish. I have at least gotten the laundry put away and most of the dishes done. The kids have been fed. I am waiting on pizza to show up and sitting here typing to you guys. Today just seems like one of those days where I just need about another 2 hours of sleep to make me feel better. I won't get it until later tonight when I go and lay down for the evening. We even get Carter back tonight after the wife gets off work. Where is he at you ask? Oh, well he is at his dad's house for two weeks out of the month. The whole split custody thing that they have going on. I'm okay with it except for when it comes to certain things. He is such a drama queen that it drives me completely insane. Like honestly, it makes me so angry. I can raise my voice just a little bit for something and he starts crying. Even if it is something as simple as telling him no, he starts crying. I don't play that shit in this house. I'm not a dictator or anything depending on who you ask, but I do ask that you follow the rules. They are even posted on the back door in big poster form letters. How hard is it for you to follow those rules? I know that he is 8 and he will do things to test me, but at 8 years old, he should not be crying over every little thing that I say. My wife says I need to stop being mean, but sometimes she just doesn't get that I am not being mean. I am just trying to stay consistent in enforcing that rules that I have been enforcing since day one. Maybe its just something that I don't understand. It also helps when his dad isn't trying to just be a friend. I'm am of the mind that I am the parent first and then the friend later. I have 18 years to mold him into a functional adult to prepare him for the rest of his life. Not to mention that at 8 years old, he weighs over 100 pounds. "He's not obese" his dad says. Wrong Bucko! When the doctor, who has a medical license, tells you that he is overweight, you should probably listen to him/her. Carter will never be stick skinny, but he shouldn't weigh that much at his age. He shouldn't weigh that until his teen years. 
     I should probably get off this rant before it makes me super angry and I stay grumpy for the rest of the day. I definitely don't need that because I can pretty much guarantee that my lady is having a shitty day at work and she doesn't need me to make it worse by being a grouch. Off I go to do things around the house while the game is on. The joys of being a functioning adult.

Catch you on the flip side.....

Wickid

No comments:

Post a Comment