Thursday, September 5, 2013

TV Shows and Movies

     Who remembers any of the TV shows that they used to watch when they were children? I know that I remember a lot of the stuff that I used to watch, but I don't remember all of it. I wish that I could see a lot of those old shows that used to appear on the TV. It seems like the TV just isn't what it used to be. I was born in the 80's and grew up through the 90's. I remember things like Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, All That, Kenan and Kel. My list could go longer, but boring you with trying to remember all of the old shows that you used to watch wouldn't be fun. I remember when the Power Rangers were just that, Power Rangers. Not this new stuff that involves expanded names. I remember Tommy was originally the Green Ranger and he had that kick ass dagger that was also a flute to call his Zord to him. It always reminded me of Godzilla when it would pop out of the water. I didn't like watching VR Troopers, but I remember that it used to come on. I know that a lot of you folks are being quite reminiscent right now and going through your TV toolbox that you have tucked into your brain. It is nice to see those shows as the flashbacks that they have become.

     Now, TV is all about "reality shows" that aren't really a reality. Who wants to watch people being stupid in front of a camera? Who really wants to watch some famous rich person attempt to find love only to end the relationship that their significant other worked so hard for? I remember seeing the ones called "The Bachelorette" and she was looking for the perfect guy to spend the rest of her life with. You can't figure that stuff out in an eight week program based on a few dates. It's practically impossible! I know that "love at first sight" can happen, but in all honesty, how often does that really happen? You have to live and learn and figure out how to work things out in a relationship. TV shows like that ruin the whole idea of TV to begin with. I know that we all went through the phase of "reality TV" when it was a new thing. Some of the shows were getting stagnant and we needed a new direction to keep the general populace entertained. It has come to the point that people are watching shows like "Honey Boo Boo". Why would I watch a show about a bratty little kid who does talent shows or whatever it is that she does. Who cares?!? To me it seems like this is just a ploy for a family to get some money by letting a film crew into their lives and letting the film crews just air everything. I don't mean that the film crews air everything. They do the editing and whatnot to fit the show into it's allotted time frame. Now this isn't to say that I'm just going to sit here and complain about TV shows and "reality TV". I watch TV shows that are interesting. Well, at least to me they are interesting. I tend to watch the cooking channels and Food Network. I watch things like Restaurant Impossible, Chopped, and other things where I can watch people do some amazing things with food. I also have tuned into and followed shows like Revolution, Under the Dome, Twisted, and a few other things like that. I guess you could call them dramas. I'm not a real connoisseur of the categorizing of the TV shows into their appropriate genre. Another show that tickles my fancy is a show called The Big Bang Theory. I don't always know what they are talking about because they use big science-y words that I don't understand, but I can understand some of the things they are talking about and I do know funny. I happen to like my comedies and this is one of those ones that I purposely try to watch as often as possible. I also like to watch Ridiculousness and Wipeout! Those two shows always leave me in stitches and its those types of shows that I love the most.

     On to the movies! I know that there are a lot of movies out there and listing anything remotely related to a movie would be futile. There are so many movies that I love and watch on a frequent basis. I have spent so many hours awake watching movies just for the sake of watching them. I can't tell you how many times that I have just sat on the couch or on the boat doing a movie binge knowing that I needed to go to sleep so that I could be awake for work. Now, I will say this: Not all movies are good movies, but they all deserve a watch to determine your opinion. There are some movies that I will wait until it comes out on DVD before I even go see it because they trailers and the commercials for the movie don't quite sell me on watching it in theaters. I haven't spent a lot of time in the theaters watching movies because I prefer the comforts of home and the boat when I had to be there. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of hours I have spent watching movies on the boat. I would spend four hours in a twelve hour off watch period watching at least two movies before I would go to sleep. Depending on the day and when I had watch, I could watch up to five movies with my buddies before I decided to go to sleep. Unfortunately, I would also spend another two hours laying in bed on the boat watching another movie before finally being able to fall asleep. Hell, it is to the point that I only watch what I record on the DVR at home and mostly watch movies. I have been through my movie library at home more than twice. There are some movies that I can quote by heart while just sitting here typing this out to you. There are just not enough hours in the day for me to watch all of the movies that I enjoy. Enjoy some movies, pop some popcorn and just relax on my couch.

     I hope that you have enjoyed this edition of the Arena and my rant about TV shows and how it has become worse than what it was when I was growing up. Think about your movies and enjoy them as often as possible. Watch them until the disc will no longer play in your DVD or Blu-Ray player.

Wickid

No comments:

Post a Comment