Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Exam Season

     It is that time again my dear friends, Navy Advancement Exam results are out and open to the public. Congratulations to those that were advanced and good luck for next time to those that didn't. I happen to be one of the ones that didn't make it. I'm actually in good spirits about it too. This is only my second time taking the E-6 exam.

     To those that know how these things work, then you know that up to E-6 is a bi-yearly exam cycle. Once you start making the attempt for E-7, you only get one exam a year and that is coming in two months. I am excited to know that at my almost 8 1/2 year point I have taken the E-6 exam twice. Not many people can say that they have accomplished such a feat. I know that with the knowledge that I have of my job, I will eventually make rate and advance at least one more time before I retire. I have a goal of doing at least 20 years and retiring. If I do happen to go further in my career than E-6, then so be it and I will be in as long as I can be. Yes, the wife and I are the same page for that. By the time I end my current enlistment I will have right at 11 years in. Why stop? It is one of those mind things. I have already gone halfway to the ultimate goal of a pension. Why quit? It just doesn't make sense. Some people do quit at the halfway point and I don't hold that against them. It is their choice and I thank them for their service that they have done. I would expect the same thing in return if I was to ever decide that I didn't want to do this job anymore. I happen to enjoy the hell out of my job and it gives me great pleasure to grow gills and breathe water for as long as I do. There is something about being hidden from the world that gives you a thrill that a roller coaster can't give you. I have spent 6 years, 4 months, and 4 days onboard a sea-going vessel. At least half of that has been spent beneath the waves doing what I do. I enjoyed every minute of it and as of right now, I can't see myself doing anything else. Shore duty has been a hard transition for me because I am so used to the boat life.

     Anywho, I have rambled off topic enough. I really need to get into college so I can learn how to stay on topic when I do these things. I only had a 13.5% chance to advance to E-6 for this cycle. Now for those of you with questions, a "cycle" is every time we actually take the exam. For example, this cycle was the 220 cycle. These cycles are sequential so my next exam cycle will be 221. So in March, you will probably see another post similar to this one stating whether or not I will get to my goal or not. I can say that the exams are rather easy to understand and if you know your information, really easy to pass. I have never failed a Navy Advancement Exam. I have always passed but not advanced. Unless, of course, I actually advanced. There is so much that goes in to the final multiple that most people have a hard time seeing how much they missed it by. I'm looking forward to seeing how close I was. The last exam I missed it by 13.99 points. To many people, that seems like a whole lot, but to me it is actually a small margin. That just means that I have to study just a little harder to make those points up.

     Well, there goes another Advancement Season into the books of my naval career. Time to get to work on studying and cleaning the house. I may even be a good dad and cook something substantial for my kids instead of making chicken nuggets or hot dogs. I can't help it if that is all they want to eat.

Until next time, from the Arena

Wickid

No comments:

Post a Comment